ANALYTICAL METHOD DEVELOPMENT, OPTIMIZATION AND VALIDATION OF COMBINATION OF AZITHROMYCIN AND BENZOYL PEROXIDE BY RP-HPLC USING DESIGN OF EXPERIMENT AS PER ICH GUIDELINE
A simple, fast, accurate and precise RP-HPLC method were developed and validated for the estimation of Azithromycin & Benzoyl peroxide per ICH guidelines. Potassium dihydrogen phosphate and Acetonitrile (50:50) are commonly used as solvents. The method was developed in Eclipse C18 column (Waters XTerra®, 4.6Χ250 mm, particle 5μ) with Potassium dihydrogen phosphate and Acetonitrile are commonly used solvents in RP -HPLC having low UV cut- off of 200-400 nm respectively. In RP-HPLC method was found to be linear in the range of Azithromycin/Benzoyl peroxide is 1-5μg/ml with a correlation coefficient value of 0.99. The accuracy studies of RP-HPLC method was performed at three different levels, i.e., 80%, 100%. The limit of detection (LOD) and Limit of Quantification (LOQ) for Azithromycin 0.009μg/ml & 0.028μg/ml and for Benzoyl peroxide 0.015μg/ml & 0.046μg/ml is to be were found. The Percentage RSD should not be more than 2 which indicate the accuracy and precision of the method. Hence the method was robust.Thus this shows that the method is capable to give a good detector response, the recovery calculated was within the range of 98% to 101% of the specification limits. Hence the method was a rapid tool for routine analysis of Azithromycin/Benzoyl peroxide in the bulk and in the pharmaceutical dosage form.
Dejaegher, J. S. Verbeke, Y. V. Heyden, J.
Pharmaceut. Biomed. Anal 2012; 66: 11–23.
2. M. D. Rockville, General Tests, Chapter 621 – Chromatography System Suitability, United States Pharmacopoeial Convention (USP), USP
3. Kasawar GB, Farooqui M. Development and
validation of a stability indicating RP-HPLC method for the simultaneous determination of related substances of albuterol sulfate and ipratropium bromide in nasal solution. J Pharmaceut Biomed Anal 2010; 52:19–29
4. http://www.particlesciences.com/docs/technical_ briefs/TB_5. pdf (Accessed on 7/8/2012)
5. Julia T, Mena AJ, Aucoin MG, Kamen AA. Development and validation of a HPLC method for the quantification of baculovirus particles. J Chromatogr B 2011; 879: 61–68.
6. Khan MC, Reddy NK, Ravindra G, Reddy KVSRK, Dubey PK. Development and validation of a stability indicating HPLC method for simultaneous determination of four novel fluoroquinolone dimers as potential antibacterialagents. J Pharmaceut Biomed Anal 2012;
7. Blanchet B, Sabourea C, Benichou AS, Billemont
B, Taieb SR, Alain Dauphin. Development and validation of an HPLC-Visible method for sunitinib quantification in human plasma. Clin Chim Acta 2009; 404:134–139.
9. Korany MA, Mahgoub H, Ossama TF, Hadir MM. Application of artificial neural networks for response surface modelling in HPLC method development. J Adv Res 2012; 3:53–63.
10. Ferrarini A, Huidobro AL, Pellati F, Barbas C. Development and validation of a HPLC method for the determination of sertraline and three non- chiral related impurities. J Pharmaceut Biomed Anal 2010; 53:122–129.
11. Collier JW, Shah RB, Bryant AR, Habib MJ, Khan MA, Faustino PJ. Development and application of a validated HPLC method for the analysis of dissolution samples of levothyroxine sodium drug products. J Pharmaceut Biomed Anal 2011; 54:433–438.
12. Singh S, Bakshi M. Guidance on conduct of stress tests to determine inherent stability of drugs. Phrama Tech 2000; 24:1-14.
13. Swartz ME, Jone MD, Fowler P, Andrew MA. Automated HPLC method development and transfer. Lc Gc N. Am 2002; 75:49-50.
14. Synder LR, Kirkland JJ, Glajach JL. X. In Practical HPLCMethods Development. John Wiley , New York 1997; 295:643- 712.
15. Swartz M, Murphy MB. New Fronties in Chromatography. Am Lab 2005; 37:22-27.
16. Debebe Z, Nekhai S, Ashenafi M, David BL, Kalinowski DS, RG Victor, Byrnes WM, Richardson DR, Karla PK. Development of a sensitive HPLC method to measure in vitro permeability of E- and Z-isomeric forms of thiosemicarbazones in Caco-2 monolayers. J Chromatogra B 2012; 906, 25–32.
17. www.agilent.com/chem/store (Accessed on 18/5/2013)
18. Dolan JW. Peak tailing and resolution. Lc Gc N. Am 2002; 20:430-436.
19. Qiang Fu, Shou M, Chien D, Markovich R, Rustum AM. Development and validation of a stability-indicating RPHPLC method for assay of betamethasone and estimation of its related
compounds. J Pharmaceut Biomed Anal 2010;
20. Nguyen AT, Aerts T, Dam DW, Deyn PPD.
Biogenic amines and their metabolites in mouse brain tissue: Development, optimization and validation of an analytical HPLC method. J Chromatogra B 2010; 878:3003–3014.
21. Deng S, Brett JW, Jensen CJ, Basar S, Westendorf J. Development and validation of an RP-HPLC method for the analysis of anthraquinones in noni fruits and leaves. Food Chem 2009; 116:505–508.
22. K.A.Shaikh, S.D.Patil, A.B.Devkhile. Development and validation of a reversed-phase HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of ambroxol hydrochloride and azithromycin in tablet dosage form. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis. 2008;48 (5): 1481- 1484.
23. ISO/IEC (2007). Guide 99: International vocabulary of metrology – Basic and general concepts and associated terms (VIM). First edition, Geneva: International Organization for Standardization.
24. Potts AR, Tatiana P, Cassandra J, Luba P, Ahalya W. Validation of a quantitative HPLC method for bacitracin and bacitracin zinc using EDTA as a mobile-phase modifier. J Pharmaceut Biomed Anal 2012; 70:619–623.
25. Hill, ARC, Reynolds, SL. Guidelines for in-house validation of analytical methods for pesticide residues in food and animal feeds. Analyst 1999; 124:953-958.
26. Krier F, Michaël B, Benjamin D, Pierre L, Aurélie D, Eric Z, Brigitte E, Philippe H. Optimization and validation of a fast HPLC method for the quantification of Sulindac and its related impurities. J Pharmaceut Biomed Anal 2011; 54:694–70.
27. Chan CC, Leo YC, Lam H. Analytical method validation and Instrument Performance Validation. Vol-I, Wiley Interscince, USA. 2004
28. Chitturi SR, Bharathi CH, Reddy AVR, Reddy KC, Sharma HK, Handa VK, Dandala R, Bindu VM. Impurity profile study of lopinavir and validation of HPLC method for the determination of related substances in lopinavir drug substance. J Pharmaceut Biomed Anal 2008; 48:1430–1440.
29. Shabir GA, Lough WJ., Arain SA, Bradshaw TK. Evaluation and application of best practice in analytical method validation. J Chromatogr RT 2007; 30:311-333.
30. Miller JN, Miller JC (2005). Statistics and chemometric for analytical chemistry Harlow: Pearson Prentice Hall. pp-263
Source of Support:Nil Conflict of Interest: Nil
31. ICH Q2 (R1) (2005). Validation of Analytical Procedures: Text and Methodology. International Conference on Harmonization, IFPMA, Geneva.
32. "Skin tumor-promoting activity of benzoyl peroxide, a... [Science. 1981] - PubMed - NCBI".